Getting Your Home Ready For Winter
Since severe weather has made an appearance across the country for this winter’s arrival, it is only right that we give you awesome, point-form TIPS on how to keep your family homes safe
Tips for Preparing Your Home for Winter Weather
- Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells. This allows warm air to circulate around pipes
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through the faucets, especially if the pipes for those faucets run through unheated or non-insulated areas of your home.
- Consider shutting off outdoor faucets. Find the shut-off valve in the basement or crawl space and turn it to "off".
- If you follow the previous step, then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it drains completely and the inner valve is shut off.
- Ensure gutters are clean and secure. Leaves and debris accumulate, causing a damming effect on gutters, which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
- Proper, professional and seasonal maintenance of your furnace can help reduce the risk of puff backs.
Whether you take these actions or not to prepare your home for severe and cold winter weather, be sure to have your local experts at SERVPRO of Barrie’s contact information nearby, for fast-acting help if needed. Call us on our Emergency Hotline for immediate support 24/7 at (705) 733-7767, and we will make it ‘Like It Never Even Happened’!